Moulds, like most fungi, break down plant and animal matter in the environment. They can grow almost anywhere there is moisture and organic material such as in soil, on foods and plants and in people's homes just to name a few.
To reproduce, moulds release spores, which can spread through air and water or on animals.
The key to preventing mould growth is to identify and control moisture and water problems. Mould spores are everywhere, including your home and they can grow on any surface that has sufficient moisture.
Common sources of moisture are:
- Roof leaks
- Indoor plumbing leaks
- Outdoor drainage problems
- Damp crawl spaces
- Steam from the bathroom or kitchen
- Condensation on cool surfaces
- Wet clothes drying inside the home
- A clothes dryer venting indoors
- Poor or improper ventilation of heating and cooking appliances
Exposure to mould can cause health effects in some people. Mould spores are always found in the air we breathe but extensive mould contamination may cause health problems. Breathing mould can cause allergic and respiratory symptoms.
It is hard to say how much mould will cause health problems as some people are more sensitive to mould than others:
- People with current respiratory conditions (e.g., allergies, asthma or emphysema)
- People with a compromised immune system (HIV/AIDS infection, organ transplant patients or chemotherapy patients)
Always discuss your health concerns with your doctor because the symptoms of mould exposure could be caused by other exposures and illnesses.
Allergy and irritation are the most common symptoms of mould exposure. Less common effects of mould exposure include infections and illness. Serious infections from moulds are relatively rare and occur mainly in people with severely suppressed immune systems. Illness has been reported from workplace exposures to mould. Although symptoms can vary, the most common symptoms seen in people exposed to mould indoors include:
- Nasal and sinus congestion
- Eye irritation, such as itchy, red, watery eyes
- Wheezing and difficulty breathing
- Throat irritation
- Skin irritation, such as a rash
Inspection Protection are IICRC certified Applied Microbial Remediation Technicians.
We have performed the smallest of mould remediation jobs to the bigger jobs where we have to remove all plaster to walls and ceilings and remove timber flooring and cabnitery. We have the expertise, experience and the appropriate tools to perform your mould inspection and advise on the remediation process.
- We investigate the cause of the mould growth (water and moisture) and perform mould inspections and reporting
- We perform thermal imaging and moisture detection meter inspections and in worse case scenarios we use a borescope to look inside the wall cavities and areas that cannot be readily accessed without removing building materials to investigate the extent of the mould issues
Call Inspection Protection on 0487 772 757 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to book in your inspection.
BEFORE: Mould to internal wall of bedroom
AFTER: Result of mould remediation works